Tuesday, June 21, 2011

La Dolce Vita



I recently broke my 5-years-without-a-vacation period and went on an amazing trip to Italy! I decided not to do too much research (which I left to my boyfriend) and simply discover something new each day. It was the most incredibly inspiring 9 days I’ve had in a very long time. Walking the streets of Rome, eating delicious hazelnut gelato, pizza by the pound and perfectly cooked pasta... I took in every sight, smell and sound from the city. The energy is simultaneously, unbelievably alive and relaxed. A perfect balance of passion, joy, beauty, determination and attention to every delicate detail. A stroll through the park in the morning, a glass of Merlot in the afternoon, and all the random things that happen in between... Enough to feed the soul and rejuvenate the creative juices. After walking through the surreal, polished marble-covered walls of the Borghese Museum we walked down a winding path of the greenest park. We found a cool, shady spot under the trees and spent hours watching people walk by. A perfectly sunny, yet breezy Spring day in one of the most beautiful cities in the world. A small piece of heaven.

I continued working on a pen and ink drawing that I had started before we left for our trip. Simply creating a beautiful shape that becomes a flower that spirals into a leaf and blossoms into a branch. By allowing this organic process to develop I have discovered the balance of obsession and playfulness in my work and life... La Dolce Vita (the Sweet Life)!

No comments:

Post a Comment